It is true what they say, that talking to your best friend is sometimes all the therapy you need. I understand what you don't say (when you were at loss for words), know exactly what you feel (how naturally vulnerable and open you were with me), and see the pain in your eyes (even if you tried to hide your true emotions behind that meek smile, head thrown back, and arms in the air - your distinct mannerism that I've come to know so well). I'm glad I could be there in your greatest time of need - to give you a listening ear, a comforting word, and just be present, as you grappled to cope with your recent immense loss.
On hindsight, they say, "You don't know what love is until you fall in love with your best friend". I was lucky to have experienced that! We accepted each other, with all our flaws and quirks, and loved each other just the way we were, even at our most irritable. Oh how young we were then!
Songs from "Cracked Rear View" album by Hootie & The Blowfish (one of your favourite bands) are playing in my head - "Only wanna be with you" and "Hold my hand" during our budding romance and "Let her cry" when I ended things (which was painful coz I feared losing you forever, but I needed to be true to myself first and foremost).
I allowed you to take a chance at love but you have since come to terms that we are better off as best friends instead. I knew then (made you promise that should things not work out, we will remain best friends still) and I know now that our friendship will last a lifetime. There is no denying this fact!
How apt - today is your birthday and tomorrow is "International Friendship Day". I'm grateful to God for the opportunity to reconnect. When I pray and count my blessings, I count you twice coz you matter a great deal to me (when you are happy, I am happy). Have a blast on your birthday, Yaz. May you be blessed with only the best! Till then, take good care of yourself for me.
I'll end my post with Bon Jovi's "Thank you for loving me" and an extract of its lyrics. You're welcome ❤.
"Thank you for loving me. For being my eyes when I couldn't see. For parting my lips when I couldn't breathe... You pick me up when I fall down. You ring the bell before they count me out. If I was drowning, you would part the sea. And risk your own life to rescue me. Thank you..."

No comments:
Post a Comment